Hi

I've installed Tomcat 4.1.18 now and the first thing I usually do is test
the tag libraries. Since I don't want to have a web.xml file for each and
every webapp, I put the taglib definitions into <TOMCAT_HOME>/conf/web.xml
and also strip out anything I don't want.

Specifically it looks like this (including the String taglib):
    <taglib>

<taglib-uri>http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/string-1.0</taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/string.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
    <taglib>
        <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/core</taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/c.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
    <taglib>
        <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt</taglib-uri>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/fmt.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
    <taglib>

<taglib-uri>http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/standard/scriptfree</taglib-ur
i>
        <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/scriptfree.tld</taglib-location>
    </taglib>

So I downloaded JSTL 1.0.2, put the JAR files into <TOMCAT_HOME>/shared/lib
and then unpacked standard-examples.jar, deleting the
<TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/standard-examples/WEB-INF/lib at the same time.
Everything worked fine. Next I deleted the TLDs that I didn't want, also
removing them from <TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/standard-examples/WEB-INF/web.xml -
everything still worked fine.

Next I removed all the taglib definitions from
<TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/standard-examples/WEB-INF/web.xml, since the ones I
wanted were defined anyway (see above), and just a couple of TLDs remained
in <TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/standard-examples/WEB-INF:
c.tld
fmt.tld
scriptfree.tld
string.tld

Now the strange part starts: Some of the example pages don't work, they give
me
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
(http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the
jar files deployed with this application
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.
java:105)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:430
)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:154
)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:159)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:354)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:381)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:800)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:122)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:199)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:153)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:223)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:351)
        at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:4
74)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:1
84)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

This happens for the following examples (I installed Tomcat on port 80):
- http://localhost/standard-examples/import/Absolute.jsp (Ok, since it uses
a non-defined taglib (jstl-examples-taglib), this should probably crash...
but why on jstl/core?)
- http://localhost/standard-examples/import/Relative.jsp
- http://localhost/standard-examples/import/Encode.jsp
- http://localhost/standard-examples/import/ExposeString.jsp

The same happens for the fmt tags:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
(http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the
jar files deployed with this application
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.
java:105)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:430
)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:154
)

for

- http://localhost/standard-examples/format/GermanLocale.jsp
- http://localhost/standard-examples/format/RequestEncoding.jsp (when I
follow the links on this page)

As soon as I put the <taglib> definitions back into
<TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/standard-examples/WEB-INF/web.xml, everything works
fine again.
Now, from my understanding, either a tag library works or it doesn't... does
anyone have a clue what might be the problem?

Thanks & best regards,
Eric

P.S. I'm away till Jan. 6th, so I'll answer any questions that day.