Of course... data access in a presentation view is bad practice, much better to unit test a bean (with DAO, such as iBatis.com) in an MVC way.
Then you can reuse you bean for Soap, etc., not just JSP and keep your JSP code clean.

Michael Duffy wrote:

Do you mean you want to batch commands, the way the
java.sql.Statement.addBatch allows you to? That would
be useful to lots of people, I'll bet. I think that
would require tag changes, too.

I can see a <sql:batch> tag that could have multiple
<sql:update> children.  Do they do such a thing in
Jakarta's DBTags taglib? - MOD

--- James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I was actually dealing with a similar problem
yesterday; I wanted to write a
tag that called not a stored procedure, but several
SQL statements in a row,
using a dataSource, just like I would use for
<sql:xxxx> tags.  After
looking through the source code, I noticed that the
abstract classes

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport

and

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.UpdateTagSupport

both used the
exact same code to access a data source.  So, I was
wondering if in future
versions of the tag library, we could have an
abstract tag that extended
BodyTagSupport and did all the work of getting the
dataSource and database
connection, and then QueryTagSupport and
UpdateTagSupport (I didn't look at
TransactionTagSupport that closely, but I'm assuming
it does something
similar) could inherit from that class, as could any
other tags that would,
say, call multiple SQL statements or call a stored
proc using a JSTL
dataSource.  Since I haven't looked at the source
code for the standard
taglibs under Tomcat 5-alpha, I don't know if this
idea would still be
compatible with the newer code, but if it is, I
think it would be useful.
Just an idea!  Thanks,

James Smith
Application Systems Analyst, Treistman Center
College of Fine Arts, University of Arizona

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Duffy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>