Yes, that's essentially what I was doing ... interestingly enough, I solved the problem by updating to taglibs-standard 1.1.1. Before I was using the jstl.jar and standard.jar included in Struts 1.2.1.

Kris Schneider wrote:
Strange, because the following seems to work:

web.xml:
--------
<web-app>
    <context-param>
        <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.localizationContext</param-name>
        <param-value>Messages</param-value>
    </context-param>
</web-app>

WEB-INF/classes/Messages.properties:
------------------------------------
msg=Messages

WEB-INF/classes/Messages_ru.properties:
---------------------------------------
msg=Messages_ru

fmtlocale.jsp:
--------------
<%@ page contentType="text/plain" %>
<%@ page import="java.util.Locale" %>
<%@ page import="javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.core.Config" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt"; %>

<% Config.set(session, Config.FMT_LOCALE, new Locale("ru")); %>

msg: <fmt:message key="msg"/>

output:
-------
msg: Messages_ru

Is that basically the equivalent of what you're doing?

Quoting Bill Siggelkow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I have created a Struts action similar to one suggested by Kris Schneider to change the current locale for both Struts and JSTL.

In the action after creating a locale based on user input I make the following two calls:

        // reset the Struts locale
        session.setAttribute(Globals.LOCALE_KEY, locale);

        // reset the JSTL locale
        Config.set(session, Config.FMT_LOCALE, locale);

I then redirect to the page where I display some text based on the locale.

The Struts bean:message works perfectly - however, the JSTL fmt:message does not work -- by the way, I do have the LocalizationContext pointing to my ApplicationResources through the web.xml context-param.

Interestingly enough, if I do use <fmt:setLocale locale="ru"/> on the before the <fmt:message key="foo"/> it works!

Does anyone have any ideas on why the Config.set(...) is not working?

Bill Siggelkow