I was flicking through a JSP book looking for inspiration to an unrelated problem when the function of <c:import> jumped out of the page which had the potential to fix an earlier problem I had.

So I looked around and downloaded the 1.1.2 JSTL from the Jakarta site.

I have copied the jstl.jar and standard.jar to my library directory and the c.tld to my WEB-INF directory. I then set the web.xml as per the quickstart introduction (http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/binarydist.html) which unfortunately

When I went to the web.xml to enable the taglib I enter:

<taglib>
  <taglib-uri>/tags/c</taglib-uri>
  <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/c.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>

because all my other taglibs for Struts are the same - for example:

<taglib>
  <taglib-uri>/tags/struts-tiles</taglib-uri>
  <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>

However I don't have a tags folder anywhere within my project (the workings of the web.xml mystify me and everytime I look something up regarding it I come away feeling very tired and none the wiser:).

Also NetBeans (my IDE) dislikes using the taglib uri's of:

<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/c.tld"; prefix="c" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/c.tld"; prefix="c" %>

which by the way are both recommended once in the quickstart and on the wiki pages.

So I created the following line which NetBeans likes:

<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/c.tld" prefix="c" %>

But the crux of the matter is that the page does not render when I try to use JSTL. What URI should I use, what tld's should I copy to the WEB-INF folder (I am only wanting to use one function from c) and what should I put in my web.xml?

Thanks, Graham Reeds.