Hmm, i can think of a lot of situations where i might want to have access to my
stuff without being dependent on some technical aid that i have to have on me
all the time. Actually thats one of the best things about storing things in a
cloud. For me it's not too hard to imagine situations where that could be
useful: you are on a trip and all of your stuff is stolen. but you got copies
of your travel documents in some cloud storage. you just download them and
prove you have a visa / permission or whatever. sure, i could have stored them
on my google drive or my dropbox, but for its advantages over corporate
services like that, i decided to use tahoe, where i have set up a storage grid
with my friends. since i have no means to recover the URI's of my Tahoe
storage, i cannot access my files.

I understand the rigid approach
 you guys have towards security issues, and it's a personal decision to bypass
them (i could just point my webserver using a memorable url to display the
aliases). i just wonder if there is no middleground to that. something like TAN
which allows a possible security breach once to recover the URI's ... i dont
know anything about the academic theories behind this kind of mechanisms, but i
would think you guys do.

I got the feeling that there is a great potential in Tahoe, for different kind
of security demands. Personally i would still prefer using Tahoe - for the
storage backend capabilities - if it had just the same security on the webui
part of something like GDrive or Dropbox, i log in with a username and a
password and and i can access my stuff. I can imagine that this sounds horrible
to you guys in terms of security, but i am already happy to know that my stuff
is stored redundantly and encrypted so the people providing each other the
storage
 space cannot access the data.

Maybe it's just the wrong kind of software i am trying to use for what i want
to achieve, or i should just bypass some of tahoes security features by letting
me display my aliases ... still, for me and i guess a lot of other people,
there is definitely demand for something maybe not as secure as intended by
tahoe but still a lot better than using dropbox or googledrive. it's ok to
educate people about what "real" security means, but somehow i dont understand
the "use-it-in-the-super-secure-way-or-dont-use-it-at-all" kind of attitude...