Com a devida vénia, e para que tenha a maior divulgação possível, um texto
do Nuno Caldeira, publicado no seu diário OSM.
[image: Logotipo do OpenStreetMap] OpenStreetMap
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/>
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NunoCaldeira/diary/391065#>
Diário de NunoCaldeira
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NunoCaldeira/diary>

<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NunoCaldeira/diary/rss>
Validating Parks from Pokemon Go users (well mostly...)
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NunoCaldeira/diary/391065> Colocado por
NunoCaldeira <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/NunoCaldeira> a 27 Outubro
2019 em English (English) <https://www.openstreetmap.org/diary/en>

Recently at the Portuguese OpenStreetMap Telegram group we have been
discussing the issue of the Pokémon Go! Players that become OSM
contributors with bad intentions, by adding fake parks or wrongly to their
ingame interest.

We decided to check how many parks existed in Portugal by using overpass
turbo <https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/NtN> back in August (kudos to Luis Forte
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/luisforte> for the help). To our
surprise there was over 7000 parks. We decided to create a map roulette
mission <https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/9053> to validate the
parks. Some are indeed hard to validate by arm chair mapping, some are not.
Up til now we have validated 20% of the parks on OSM and acknowledged that
more than 12 percent were indeed badly tagged and only 7% were correctly
tagged.

As example,gardens of private property or grass in roundabouts. [image:
https://maproulette.org/challenge/9053/task/24888572]
https://maproulette.org/challenge/9053/task/24888572

[image: https://maproulette.org/challenge/9053/task/2488485599]
https://maproulette.org/challenge/9053/task/2488485599

[image: https://maproulette.org/challenge/9053/task/24883197]
https://maproulette.org/challenge/9053/task/24883197

During this we acknowledge that some of these tags were added long before
Pokémon Go existed,which left us intrigued. We investigated that most of
the users were using id editor and realized that the translation on Transifex
to Portuguese
<https://www.transifex.com/openstreetmap/id-editor/language/pt/> was mixing
synonymous of gardens, grass and some of those were done by Brazilians (for
those that are not familiar, Portuguese from Portugal and Brazilian
Portuguese have even harder differences than English from UK or English
from USA). We decided that the translation needed to be fixed, António
Madeira <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Antmadeira> and myself started
to translate what’s not translated and validating what already was. This
should be an example to none English communities as having translators that
have a high knowledge of OSM tags, discussing the best words to be added to
synonymous of tags is crucial to have a consistent translation to id, which
is the most used editor on OSM world. This is an important step to avoid
misleading tags to newcomers,but obviously won’t fix everything as some
will add the park tag for their own Pokemon Go activity.

Therefore we decided until the map roulette mission is going and probably
afterwards, we have a OSMCHA filter
<https://osmcha.mapbox.com/filters?aoi=856dc896-738e-4527-86e3-f5e21c74d076>
to flag the new parks being added with Reasons for Flagging “Park added by
new user”. Everyday or two days we check and enquiry the contributor about
the park that they recently added, the concept of what a park is does not
meet our OSM tag. As common examples we have contributors using park for
gardens or for picnic sites. City halls usually refers to parks, gardens or
picnic sites in Portugal as “Parque” which misleads contributors that are
not informed of the OSM park tag. If the contributors does not reply,
continues to edit and we do an internet search and can’t find any reference
to the park in question,the tag is changed to garden. Red flags are parks
that either have the word garden (Jardim in Portuguese) or that have been
added without name. Common sense is an important key on this, don’t be a
dictator and explain to the contributor what a park is in OSM
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpark>.

The map roulette mission is still available, feel free to contribute as
mentioned some don’t require knowledge about the area in question are can
easily be fixed remotly. Tip: activate the nearby feature on map roulette,
usually a contributor that added parks wrongly added multiple wrong tags in
the same are, which you can edit as a batch quickly to avoid going back and
forth between Map Roullete and the editor of your choice. In case of doubt,
skip, we will deal with the ambiguous ones later when the mission is
completed

Map Roullete mission link <https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/9053>

Thanks to those that already helped validating 20% of the parks in Portugal.
Localização: Achada, Nuns Valley, Câmara de Lobos, Madeira, 9325-137,
Portugal
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/32.7242738371825/-16.9661865150556>

Iniciar sessão
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/login?referer=%2Fuser%2FNunoCaldeira%2Fdiary%2F391065>