Volker, sorry for the double response, forgot to replay-all so this would

Ways.

The original use of Reporting Marks in NA is for rolling stock
identification, yes.  However, it's also the only common, reliable, and
consistent short form abbreviation for operators.  It's widely used that
way in both the railroad industry here and among the industry-connected
portions of the public.  So, not an official defined use of the mark, but
so common in use that it is effectively industry standard here.  For
example, the FRA, the official US government agency in control of railway
regulations, exclusively uses the reporting marks (and not full operator
name) for identification of ways and routes in their GIS database (
https://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/ which is OSM-compatible and
already being used as a reference in the US).  Hence, we have an official
and authoritative source for which reporting mark is "primary" for each
company, and most appropriate to use - and it's already used as the
operator identification in the government map.

All larger railroads do own (and often use) multiple different reporting
marks for their equipment, but all also have a single, best known,
"primary" reporting mark by which it will be commonly known, so this
proposal is effective even for lines with multiple registered marks
(especially with the help of the FRA map to clarify any inconsistencies).

Chuck