Hello Renier,

I believe there is a rather complicated proposal on the OSM wiki. It
tries to model the European situation were streets inside cities have
very low speed limits. Personally I think this proposal is much too
difficult to implement and I would rather see global defaults for each
highway type.

I can think of at least 2 applications for accurate speed limit data
in OSM: (1) warning driver when he is breaking the law and (2)
estimating average speed so that faster and more economical routes can
be calculated.

The default average speed for my Gosmore router can be found here:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/export/25985/applications/rendering/gosmore/elemstyles.xml

So to answer you: If you are curious about speed limits or you want
the best possible routing, then go ahead an collect it. Personally I'm
much more focused on street names, points of interest and house names.

Regards,
Nic