Hi Larry,

I'm not sure what happens when that happens, but here's an easy way to
change the volume of any program which produces sound in Windows Vista and
above.
If you open the system tray with Insert-S, arrow to the speaker icon, tab to
the single right click button and press Enter or spacebar, the context help
menu will pop up, where you can arrow to Open volume mixer, and press Enter.
Within this dialog, you can find a slider and mute/unmute button for any
program on your system which produces sound using the default sound device.
I suggest that this is probably the easiest way to adjust volume for Winamp.
Note that if the program which produces sound cannot be seen in this dialog,
then it is because it is not being produced by the default sound device, and
this is because this dialog, when opened, always shows the settings for the
default sound device.
Should you wish to change the volume for programs which use other sound
devices, then, within this mixer dialog, tab to the speakers button which
will also have a label of "split button", and press the spacebar.
This will bring up a context help menu where you can see that the default
sound device is checked, but you can use your arrow keys to select the sound
device you wish to adjust.
Once you press Enter, your mixer dialog will change to reveal those programs
which produce sound using that sound device.

Hth,

Rod