Am Mittwoch 24 Juni 2009 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> greg...@arenius.com wrote:
> > What do people think?

you are not the first to suggest something like that ;-)
I also think that a change would be fine, but my approach was a little bit
different. anyway, I'm using my scheme in my application and try to convert
from the chaotic osm-style when importing the data.

> I think "why bother". Clearly what we have is chaotic, but any system
> you can think of will become chaotic sooner or later with people
> (ab)using it to their heart's content, so what's the big deal.

abuse, even unintended, will always be a problem diluting the meaning and
usage of the tags. but this can be reduces to a minimum, if the whole thing
would be well defined. but enough said, you know my point of view ;-)

> If you're so intent on giving structure to the whole thing then you
> should perhaps use the gpsdrive-inspired tagging scheme that some people
> in Germany use. They do things like
>
> poi=shopping.machine.cigarette
> poi=education.school.secondary
> poi=religion.church.catholic
> poi=shopping.rental.library

thanks for referencing this :-)

> and so on. I'm sure it is documented somewhere but I'm not sure where. I
> think it is a bit crazy but at least it can co-exist peacefully with
> what we already have (an object can be tagged according to both schemes
> at the same time).

a short overview can be found in the osm svn in /applications/share/map-icons/