On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Nick Whitelegg
<nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk> wrote:

>>-If you look at Android from the view point of the end user or the
>>hacker, it's quite closed. DRM, binary drivers, and the mobile
>>operators occasionally blocking tethering applications.
>
>>However, independent application developers with valid business models
>>love Android. Their applications aren't tied to a proprietary
>>operating system. There have been reports that it's even possible to
>>remove Google from the ecosystem, should they ever become evil.
>
> TBH I think that hackers (as in open-source developers) can do quite a bit
> with Android too, as is evidenced by the large number of OSM applications
> available for it - as long as, presumably, they don't have to do anything too
> low-level. I myself intend to do some hacking with it and it looks like it
> will allow me to do what I want to do. I don't think a "valid business model"
> is needed. Compared with the ridiculously closed model of the iPhone, far,
> far more closed than desktop Windows ever was, Android is very open by
> comparison.
>
> Nick

I meant "valid business model" as in no malware, no piracy, no
violation of the terms of service of the mobile operator e.g.
tethering. Using a mobile phone to collect and verify mapping data is
definitely a valid business model, even if no money changes hands.