Some time around 7/27/2003 11:34:25, I think I heard Alexander say:

> Do you know why you haven't had any dupes in these programs? Maybe you
> should look how these programs handle dupes? And has it come to you that
> maybe these programs delete dupes automatically, without you interfering
> (or rather, ever knowing)? Dupes itself are not a TB problem (well, most of
> the time), but rather how TB handles them.

Thank you for your comment.  I never implied that dupes is a "TB
problem", nor any type of problem at all.  I was merely curious as to
why they should happen.

> What I mean is - I've been using AK-Mail before I migrated to TB. I've
> never seen any dupes back then, either. Why? AK-Mail handled dupes itself
> (it kept a log of the last downloaded messages' ID and identified dupes
> automatically this way). Though it would be nice to have auto-dupechecking
> in TB too, of course.

I see.  By your brief explanation I can assume that dupes occur when
TB downloads the same message from the server more than once, is this
accurate? If it is, then *thank you*, that's all I wanted to know.

If this is the case, then I agree with you that TB should have an
automatic mechanism to handle dupes.  Most mail clients keep track of
all UIDL (or Message-IDs) of the messages downloaded and use this to
avoid re-downloading, and still offer some "advance" mechanism to
allow this messages to be downloaded in the special case the user
wants them to (i.e. Download *all* messages on server, as opposed to
*new* messages).  Why TB does not have this already surprises me,
being the best mail client I've used so far and so feature rich.

        Thanx,
        -dZ.