On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:58:17AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> Like I asked on icb, why do we need a knob for this at all?

One knob to turn it off so when you have installed servers
in a room, to avoid seeing one shutdown because you pressed
the power button when moving one. To give you an example,
I worked at the CNRS and we had a room with servers, and
several were just oversized powerful PCs installed side by
side on two desks. We have to add one, so move the others
on one side, and by moving one we accidentally pressed a
power button and the machine did shut down... Without
almost a hundred machines depending on it and people working
on those hundred machines that really did not like what
happened.

One knob to be able to turn it on so when you're working
on a machine, and console dies, to be able to shutdown
properly and avoid a fsck.

No idea what the default setting should be, but if the
knob is there we can use PCs with such buttons as servers
and choose what happens if they are pressed or not.

Perhaps let the button make a shutdown if pressed, and
to be able to turn it off on servers ?

--
Gilbert Fernandes