On 3/13/2017 7:02 PM, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>> From: "Todd C. Miller" <todd.mil...@courtesan.com>
>> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:31:35 -0600
>>
>> How about we just eliminate the "logfile turned over" message
>> entirely?  It's kind of bogus for newsyslog to be writing to the
>> log files directly.  I don't think that message provides any useful
>> info.
>
> I do find the message useful as it reminds me that there is another
> file to look into.

Along those lines, I wrote a script to rotate my logs because I wanted
the rotated log to have the date in the name, instead of just a version
number.  While doing that, the line I add to the new log file is:

Log file /var/log/messages rotated to log.messages_20170313T000102.log

as that provides a trail of the logfile from one to the next as they are
rotated.  I suspect others may not want or need this type of trail...