On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 11:42:51AM +0200, Florian Obser wrote:
> I don't understand why we have a limit on the join list.

The ioctl interface is easier to deal with if the max size is known in
advance. The recalloc dance in benno's diff isn't actually necessary
(nevermind that it's still enforcing some other arbitrary limit of ten
times the node cache size).

The current limit seems to be too low for some people. I'd suggest
we just keep bumping it up until people stop complaining.

> It's the users decision to drive their kernel out of memory.

But it's also not a great idea to deliberately allow userspace to do that.
I don't see why this list should be allowed to run the kernel out of memory.

Having some fixed size limit also helps if we decide to add another
persistent storage solution later on. AFAIK this is still being debated.