Don Simons wrote:
Roland--

Here's what I've done so far to look into this.

1. Downloaded
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pmx/pmx_2.5.0.orig.tar.gz  to
my Windows machine.

2. Extracted pmxab.for and mwalmnd.pmx

3. Edited the two incompatible lines in pmxab.for

4. fsplit, compile, and link under windows98

5. Ran pmxab on mwalmnd.

No problems, perfectly fine tex file produced.

I don't know what line 143 your error message is referring to. Line 143 in
pmxab.for is a comment line.

line 143 must be referring to the last line of the shell script 'pmx' coming with the pmx_2.5.0.orig.tar.gz distribution. Command execution branches to that line if the filename argument given to 'pmx' evaluates to an empty string.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I can try the same steps manually under
linux when I get to the office later today, probably without the fsplit
operation.

Any suggestions?

After having compiled and installed pmxab on my linux station (Redhat 7.3, i386) from the pmx_2.5.0.orig.tar.gz distribution using the accompanying Makefile I succeeded in processing mwalmnd.pmx into a perfect .dvi file. So I can't reproduce the reported error!

Bye
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus