Great post, Sleaze!

Always enjoy your tales and good luck on your trip!

Keep 'em coming!

Mark A.

From: bmorgan...@aol.com [mailto:bmorgan...@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:44 AM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] The good old days aren't over!

Rod says: "Cheapskate travels weren't just in Mexico. Cavers found ways
to travel cheaply wherever we went back then."

What? Are you guys getting too old to have inexpensive fun?? The good
old days still aren't over for those willing to go far enough afield in
search of adventure!

I've seen my fortunes rise and fall, and for the last seven years or so
they have been on the rocks, but that hasn't stopped me from having fun
by going caving in far away places. Since my last major infusion of cash
I've been to Thailand twice with side trips to Laos, Cambodia, and
Burma, and several shorter trips to Central America. People say, "Well,
it must be nice to be rich!" To which I reply that I am nearly destitute
which even my friends barely believe. The secret is to live a debt free
life, use frequent flyer miles derived from credit card use, and to be
willing to travel by the seat of your pants and to live like a local.

Two years ago I flew to Bangkok for a total of $61 in fees and taxes,
then took a perfectly acceptable room in Banglamphu (AKA Hippie heaven!)
for six big bux. Then I took a sleeper train all the way across the
entire country to Viengtiane Laos for thirteen dollars. A comfortable
modern bus then took me south to Khammouane province in the heart of the
karst (right next to where the world's largest cave was discovered in
Vietnam). Unfortunately I fell ill in Thakek, but if one must be sick,
what a great place to do it in! My spacious comfortable room was $5. The
food was spectacularly good and dinner averaged $2. After I recovered a
bit I started renting motor scooters for the inflated tourist price of
$7/day and began to explore the unbelievably beautiful karst. Ancient
villages with huge caves and azure karst resurgences were everywhere I
looked. Eventually I pissed off the Commie authorities by entering
closed areas, and especially by sneaking around in the jungle (actually
monsoon forest) by myself, an activity that they considered suspicious
when undertaken by an American "of a certain age" (At 63 I could have
been the guy who bombed their village!). So they sent the army after me.
It seemed wise to find a fresh venue for my ongoing adventures so I fled
the country back to Thailand where nobody cares what you do.

Thailand has a great National Park system similar to our own. The main
difference is in style of management. In America our national parks are
full of handrails and signs saying "Stay on the trail. Do this. Don't do
that!", and the rangers are glorified possum cops there to make sure you
don't have any fun. In Thailand it is assumed that you will play nicely
with others so everyone does. It is also assumed that you will not be so
foolish as to follow elephant trails so there are no signs saying not
to. Delicious food and ice cold beer are always available because it
would never occur to the authorities not to invite several of the local
Grannies to set up thatched roof concessions catering to your every
whim. The whole idea is to have fun!

So I took busses to National Parks in all corners of the country. Entry
fees were generally around $3. Many of the rangers I met were so
impressed by my self sufficient camping style that they charged nothing
for camping no matter how long I stayed, after all, I was causing no
impact! I mountain biked, hiked, illegally followed elephant trails for
many miles, canoed down rivers, and visited countless beautiful
waterfalls and caves.

When it was all said and done the two month trip didn't cost me much
more than it would have cost to stay home.

Now I'm still destitute but my Sweetie and I are going back this winter
for another two months, Yahoo! The tentative plan is to spend a month in
northern Laos following the Nam Ou from its confluence with the Mekong
near Louang Prabang all the way upstream to the remote region where
China, Vietnam, and Laos all come together. The Nam Ou is the largest
trib to the Mekong in Laos. There is only one bridge, the entire
watershed is effectively roadless, all traffic is along the river in
small boats or on forest trails. The whole of northern Laos is
mountainous and densely forested. Imagine West Virginia hundreds of
years ago, only inhabited by wild and woolly hill tribes who dress in
colorful costumes while carrying ancient muskets and rusted swords on
their way to tend the opium patch in the bottom of the sinkhole.
Needless to say, there are caves everywhere!

That should wear our butts out, so a bit of R&R on the glorious beaches
of southern Thailand will be in order. Once our tans have recovered it
will be time to head up to Umphang along the Burmese frontier to
continue my explorations there. Umphang is considered to be the most
remote place in Thailand and is culturally part of Burma. Last time I
was there I visited the stunningly beautiful Ti Lor Su waterfall (google
it), which, though heavily visited is remote and surrounded by
wilderness. The entire enormous waterfall is made of travertine, think
rimstone pools 500 feet high by 1500 feet across.

While in Umphang I heard of a place downstream called La Ka To lake. The
only available description is "a blue lake surrounded by jungle and wild
animals". It is clearly visible on Google earth as an azure karst window
in the verdant wilderness. If you would like to creme your jeans here
are the coordinates: Lat 15.659265, Long 98.813834. The last time I
tried to go there the area was off limits due to fighting along the
nearby Burmese border (The brave Karen against the evil Burmese
government).

Getting to La Ka To (if I can get there?) will be the only significantly
expensive part of the whole two month trip because I will have no choice
but to hire a licensed outfitter with rubber rafts. I purely hate that!

So I hope this serves as an inspiration to other impoverished old farts,
and as a rebuttal to those on this list who don't know me and have been
saying that I am not a "real" caver (Because I don't go to grotto
meetings or map nerd holes?). Get a life, it's easy to do and even
cheap!

Sleazeweazel