Aboveground caves are more common than most people realize. One that is
known to many Texas cavers is the plywood cube maze that was erected at
several Texas Caver Reunions and certain other caver events. This
structure obviously was above ground, and, although it didn't look much
like a natural cave, it was advertised as a "cave" by the cavers who
built it and who crawled around inside it.

A more realistic looking aboveground cave existed inside a restaurant in
the Denver Colorado area, back when I lived their during the early
1980s. The restaurant served all-you-can-eat Mexican food of a quality
that didn't encourage people to eat very much, but you had to buy a
dinner in order to get in. Its main attraction was a very large building
fixed up like a multi-theme theme park inside. It had multiple dining
areas, each elaborately decorated according to a different theme. A
couple of these areas were very cave-like inside. From time to time, it
was common for Colorado cavers to go there for an after-dinner evening
of pseudocaving in these aboveground caves, especially during winter,
when most of Colorado's underground caves were inaccessible because of
snow.

An even more realistic artificial cave was built inside the Florida
State Museum in Gainesville Florida during the early 1970s, when I was a
student at the University of Florida and was caving with the Florida
Speleological Society (FSS). The museum people building this artificial
cave took great care to make it resemble a real typical Florida cave as
much as they could, including routing the air conditioning through side
passages and regulating the temperature and humidity to resemble natural
air flow in a real Florida cave. Fortunately, Florida's typical cave
temperatures were naturally comfortable. The museum staff collaborated
with FSS cavers and visited several real Florida caves during the
planning of this project. We were especially impressed with the
technique they used for constructing remarkably realistic artificial
formations by applying many layers of slow setting epoxy, which slowly
flowed and dripped as it set, gradually building up multi-layer coatings
resembling the shapes and surfaces of natural stalactites, stalagmites,
and flowstone. After it was completed, cavers often amused themselves by
photographing inside this artificial cave and slipping the slides into
slide shows of real caves to see if other cavers could notice the
difference. Unless cavers were already familiar with the Florida State
Museum cave, the pictures were often realistic enough to fool
experienced cavers. Technically, the Florida State Museum cave might
have been either aboveground or underground, or perhaps a combination of
both, since the Florida State Museum building was partly above and
partly below ground level.

If you search hard enough, I bet you can find many more examples of
"aboveground caves". Has anyone ever bothered to compile a list?

Rod