Hi

If the coax is real RG58 (as in solid poly core) you have 3-4 db of loss in it.
If it's foam core, you have even less. The normal antennas have enough gain to
easily handle 10 - 15 db of loss. A bigger concern than loss would be
shielding. Depending on what's running around (moon bounce transmitters …),
something like quad shield RG-6 might do better.

Bob

On Nov 12, 2012, at 4:28 AM, Doug Parker <doug.par...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for the thoughts, Chuck has provided the wisdom to solve my problem.
> With GPSCon, my readings on the Z3801 are 'Signal Strength' and the Z3805A
> are 'C/N' which are entirely different. I'd not noticed  the change in
> designation on the  display.
>
> My antenna is a typical 'Base Station bullet' with an integral 20+dB preamp
> and 15 feet of RG58
>
> thanks
> Doug

>>> G4DZU