Stephen Black wrote:

> error. This is on the strength of the following excerpt from S.
> Gaukroger (1995), _Descartes: an Intellectual Biography_
> (p.416-417), under the wonderful subtitle "Death and Dismemberment".

LOL!

> "In 1666 his remains were exhumed to be returned to France...The
> French ambassador was allowed to cut off the forefinger of his right
> hand...

I would have loved to have heard *that* conversation!

French Ambassador: "So... Can I have a finger off this 16 year old
corpse?"

Or I wonder if someone offered: "So... Monsieur French Ambassador, want
a souvenir?"

I bet the finger is in a shoebox somewhere in the basement of the old
French embassy in Stockholm.  Sounds like a job for Geraldo Rivera.
"We're opening up the basement door now... We don't know what we'll
find..."

Let me see if I have this straight.

Descartes died in 1650.
Exhumed in 1666 to be moved to France (chapel of St. Paul) and moved to
the Abbey of St. Etienne-du-Mond on 24 July, 1667.
Moved again in 1792 to the Jardin Elysee des Monuments Francais.
Moved again in 1819 to St. Germain-des-Pres where he currently lies.

> I say it's time to dig him up once more.

I agree.  He's been dead for 350 years, but hasn't been in the air for
180.  Given all the moving around he has done, he has to miss it.  :-)

There *must* be a university out there with a bored biologist just dying
(no pun intended) to do some DNA testing.  Next February would be the
*perfect* time to do it -- on the anniversary of his death, 350 years
ago.

A little funding from APA Division 2, and we'll be all set.  :-)

--
Sue Frantz                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Faculty Office Bldg, 2400 Scenic Drive     Office: (505)439-3752