Mathew,  I learned by practice in trying to be helpful, tactful, and yet
also convey some basic info about the person to colleagues.  I also was able
to see how other faculty wrote letters--ask a colleague for permission to
look at old letters.  Develop some general guidelines as to who you will
write for.  For example, they might be expected to have had you for a couple
of classes, and/or worked with you in some fashion.  If you feel you cannot
write a positive letter, or a letter that is very informative, then be
up-front with the student about that.  In some cases, if they are really in
need of someone to write, and I have declined only because I do not have
much to say, I will agree to write a letter, but tell them it will be
limited.  I try never to be in a position to have to write anything
seriously negative---I would refuse to write the letter.  Also, be cautious
and humble about your impressions of students, whether positive or negative.
Try to stick to specific things they did or work accomplished.  On a number
of occasions, lackluster students have asked for letters and I felt
challenged to keep the letters upbeat (after giving in and agreeing to write
them).  In many cases, these students have done exceptionally well and
appear to have lived up to the letters I wrote for them, so hesitatingly,
years earlier.
    At our annual grad/career preparation seminar in the fall, faculty tell
students about letters of recommendation, their policy in writing them, and
we all stress getting to know the faculty, getting involved in Psi Chi
and/or Psych Club, becoming involved in faculty research, senior research
projects, lab work, etc., conference presentations, etc.  The clinical
faculty speak about the kinds of things clinoid programs ask about, and the
rest of us mention what other programs might be looking for and the kinds of
recommendation forms we usually fill out for various schools.  That is, most
programs ask about the ability to work with others, communication skills,
general knowledge, etc.  Students should be made aware of these issues early
in their psych curriculum.  Finally, I will often ask students to give me a
letter describing the classes they had with me, extracurricular activities,
work experience, field experience, research work, papers, etc.  I ask also
for some idea as to what they want to do and try to learn of their
motivation for pursuing further study.  In many cases, this helps to refresh
your memory and gives you some information you can use in your letter.
Also, as advisor to our Psi Chi chapter and our Psychology Club, I always
stress the benefits of leadership and involvement in these organizations.
Over the years I am sure you will find yourself developing a style and type
of letter that best represents the accomplishments and goals of your
students.  Best wishes,   Gary  Peterson

    Saginaw Valley State University