Gary Klatsky wrote:

> I will be teaching History & Systems for the first time in the Fall and
> thought I'd solicit your ideas while you were in the middle of the semester.
> I'm looking for project, assignment and activity ideas that will make this
> class a more active learning experience for the students.  At Oswego State
> History & Systems is the senior capstone class.  I've scanned though the
> Activities Handbook for Psychology Vols. 1-3 but all I saw was  staging a
> debate among the APA presidential candidates in 1924 and drawing a cognitive
> map of the history of psychology.  Do you have any activities that have
> worked well in your classes
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Gary
>
> Gary J. Klatsky
> Department of Psychology                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Oswego State University (SUNY)                  http://www.oswego.edu/~klatsky
> Oswego, NY 13126                                        Voice: (315) 341 3474

Gary,

I divide students into groups of 3 and assign them a time period, for
example 1880-1900.  The assignment is to explore the social, political,
and economic conditions of Europe and the United States for that time
period.  Each student explores one of the areas and then collectively
they generate a paper and present it to the class.  The presentations
can be staggered so they correspond with the material you are covering
at that time. One student came to class wearing a Victorian era dress
(the student was a female) and I believe it was very effective for their
understanding of the zeitgeist.  I also assign them a traditional paper
and they choose between a school of thought or a great person.  The
papers can be educational for me as well as for the students.  In the
fall I am going to include Ludy Benjamin's "A History of Psychology in
Letters" (McGraw-Hill) but haven't worked on the details of how I will
include it as yet.  Hope this helps.

Chuck

P.S. I noticed you will be attending the PsychExps Workshop in Oxford
this summer--I will see you there.

Charles M. Huffman, Ph.D.
Chair, Psychology Department
Cumberland College