Hello everyone,

I have received an email which wanted to "dissuade" me from teaching a
Psychobiology course at a Community College Level.  I wanted to explain
the purpose behind this course.

Psychobiology courses are routinely offered at Community Colleges in
California.  It is considered a lower division General Education course,
in the category of a non-lab science, and transfers as such.  It is
comparable in this way to Biology, Geography, Astronomy and so on..  It
will not replace an upper division Psychobiology course nor is it
intended to.  It is intended to acquaint and prepare students for
upper-division work in this area.  Being able to transfer as a lower
division  G.E. science course also enhances the perception of psychology
in the category of  "hard science."  The course also transfers as an
lower-division elective in the major along with Intro, Stats, and
Research Methods.  This course is accepted at the California State
University, and the University of California systems. I feel that a
Psychobiology course fits in well with the purpose of a Community
College and will aid students in their attempts to successfully
complete  an upper-division PsychoBiology course.   I have taken
Psychobiology courses at a C.C., as an upper-division course at the
university and in Grad. school.  I love the biological aspects relating
to psychology and realize that each course built upon the other.  All
were definitely worthwhile, with the most difficult being the one at the
Community College level.  I feel uncomfortable having to defend this
course but wanted to explain the reasoning behind it.

Don't discount the Community College student, some are returning
students (like I was), and others are limited by economics.
Many, if not most, are as intellectually competent as the student
entering a four-year institution. Stereotyping a Community College
student as inferior to a four-year student is as unacceptable as any
other stereotype.

Donette Steele M.A.
Instructor/ Psychology