At 4:37 PM -0400 8/11/99, ANN MUIR THOMAS wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Paul Brandon wrote:
>
>> At 8:34 AM -0700 8/11/99, Don Allen wrote:
>> >Stephen-
>> >
>> >Not quite double blind, but very very close.  You would also have to
>> >ensure that the therapists were equally convinced of the effectiveness of
>> >their treatments otherwise differential experimenter enthusiasm could
>> >affect the Ss responses.  That quibble aside, I agree that it would be a
>> >good test of cognitive (or any other) therapy.
>> >
>> >-Don.
>>
>> This could easily be handled by training graduate students in the different
>> treatments.
>
>*What* makes you assume that graduate students wouldn't know the
>difference?  Seems to me this gets covered in the first semester of grad
>school for most clinical/counseling/ etc. folks.

I doubt that first semester clinical grad students have mastered all the
details that make the difference between correct and incorrect
implementations of a particular brand of therapy.

It should be possible to set up protocols with equivalent face validity.

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Department                        507-389-6217 *
*     "The University formerly known as Mankato State"      *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *