Well, here goes my first post...

I received the following questions from one of my Cognitive
Psychology students and find them beyond the domain of my own understanding.  Does
anyone on the list have suggestions about how I might go about answering them?  My
guess with respect to Question 2 is that lesions in Broca's area are not the source of
speech difficulty in CP and MD patients; their problems stem from a more general
inability to control muscle activity.  Is this correct?

Thank you in advance,

Kim Ainsworth-Darnell

Does sleep apnea have anything to do with the reticular formation.  I thought of this
because people who have sleep apnea will stop breathing for an amount of time, and the
reticular formation regulates breathing, among other things.  Is there any correlation?

And second, do people who have disorders such as cerebal palsy or muscular dystrophy
have damage to their Broca's Area, because of the difficulty of speech and language
associated with these?  Or does the difficulty with language result from the
muscles-stiffness, spasms, etc.?