The other day, I asked:

> A student in one of my courses stated that, after her grandmother's
> stroke, she lost the ability to speak her second language (English), but
> was still able to speak her native language (French). This, I know, is
> not uncommon. What interested me in this case was that my student stated
> that the LEFT side of her grandmother's body was paralyzed
> (right-hemisphere stroke) and that her grandmother was right-handed
> (language functions associated predominantly with activity in the left
> hemisphere in over 95% of right-handers).

And now....the rest of the story. This student came back today and
informed me that she had misremembered the side of paralysis: her
grandmother's paralysis was on the right side of the body. But, I'm glad
I asked about this: I learned something new about second languages and
laterality. So, thanks everyone!

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"No one can accept the fundamental hypotheses of scientific psychology
and be in the least mystical."
                                   Knight Dunlap