Dear Tipsters:

I am in the process of working with our administration at The College of
Saint Rose to develop a rat lab facility that would be used primarily for
Learning, Physiological Psychology, and undergraduate student research
projects.  Believe it or not, our administration has a very favorable
outlook on this idea.  I am, of course, obtaining the guidelines from OSHA,
NIH, and APA to help develop this proposal, but I would also appreciate
feedback from any of you that have animal facilities. Some specific
questions (that may or may not be in the guidelines I have requested)
include:

1.  How to determine daily operating costs (the administration wants an
estimate of regular working lab costs).
2.  Recruitment and pay scale for undergraduate lab techs.
3.  Airflow regulations.
4.  Number of animals per square foot of room (not cage).  What is the
approximate square footage of your animal colony room and what is its
maximum animal capacity?
5.  What is the approximate square footage of your teaching laboratory and
what do you do with students in this lab.

and of course any other comments, suggestions, warnings about developing a
facility.

Thanks for all your help,

Rob Flint
Robert W. Flint, Jr., Ph.D.