The main function of this list is this: to help us become better
teachers of psychology by presenting a forum for scholarly discussions
of teaching issues. There are three main questions to which we are
trying to get answers so that we can become better teachers:

(1) How do we teach? This question involves learning about specific
techniques, procedures, and material that will help us to accomplish the
goals we have for our courses.

(2) What do we teach? This question involves learning about the specific
content of our courses.

(3) Why do we teach? This question involves learning about the goals of
our teaching, both in specific courses and in general.

Yesterday, by suggesting facetiously that we present the TIPS
Perseverance Awards, I made light of the fact that too many discussions
on this list have little or nothing to do with exploring answers to
these questions. The very serious message behind the irony was that, if
one desires answers to these three questions, it takes a truly dedicated
person to sift, day after day, through the often disappointing posts
from TIPS. Not only are the ideas expressed too often irrelevant to the
questions above, but they also too often are expressed in a manner
highly inappropriate to a scholarly discussion--in a mean-spirited
and/or simple-minded manner. For me, the latter is unforgiveable on a
list of scholars (has shame become old-fashioned?), whereas the former
is regrettable because it inhibits open discussion.

Over the years, I have seen many dedicated and deep-thinking scholars
disappear from TIPS. I suspect that the problem I have just outlined has
been a major cause of this. I am very thankful for those few who remain
(you know who you are): you have helped me more than you can know. But
once again, the ever-present pablum is causing me to reconsider the
value of participating: there are so few grains in the chaff. On some
days, I feel humiliated to be participating in (if only by the act of
reading) such inane and tasteless patter. Camus once said that the only
real philosophical question was whether or not to commit suicide. If he
had known about TIPS, I believe he would have added whether or not to
unsubscribe as a close second.

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"No one can accept the fundamental hypotheses of scientific psychology
and be in the least mystical."
                                   Knight Dunlap