On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:52:14 -0500 Paul Brandon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Barring a major change in the contingencies set by society, the only answer
> is replication, both direct and systematic.

Given my recent work, you will not be surprised to know that I
am in agreement with Paul's concern.  But let me connect this to
another thread, the "old" research thread.

Some old research, like Weber's work on the just noticeable
difference or Pavlov's conditioning work, is worth teaching
today because through systematic replication and extension the
field has come to appreciate how widespread and useful is his
principle.

Systematic replication and extension allows us also to establish
a rough metric of utility and generality to a finding such that
publication date is not the primary concern.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA