Molly wrote:
"I am in my first year of teaching at a small private college. I only
> have 3 students in my class! I just gave an exam on 2 chapters and had
> a D and 2 F's. And this was a computer-generated exam from the test
> bank that came with the text! I had even given them a study guide,
> which I wrote after I had made up the exam."

First I need to say that many new prof, fresh out of prestigious UG and
graduate institutions often have expectations that are too high.  This is
not to say that many of your students aren't truly as bad as you describe.
They often are but try to guard against exceptionally high expectations at
first.  Better to err on the easy side initially and then get tougher as you
get a better feel for the lay of the land.   this is especially good advice
for new, untenured people even if it is a bit cynical.
As for test bank questions: They are often trivial.  Try writing 100
questions on a chapter some time.  After 30 or 40 questions you have trouble
finding more  that aren't trivial or convoluted.  The solution: pick your
items very carefully.  Eliminate those with tricky wording and pick mostly
questions on substantive issues that were covered both in class and in the
book.  (That also helps attendance.)  Volunteer to have extra review
sessions with the students.  If you do these things, you'll still find lots
of Ds and Fs but you won't beat yourself up so much when you have to give
them the grades they deserve!
Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.         Office: 610-436-3151
Department of Psychology        Home: 610-363-1939
West Chester Univ. of PA        Fax: 610-436-2846
West Chester, PA 19383          www.wcupa.edu/_academics/sch_cas.psy/
Husband, Father, Grandfather-to-be, Biopsychologist, Bluegrass Fiddler and
herpetoculturist.