My first question would be what course is this and how is the computer-generated exam given? Some programs randomly select items, so it would be possible that the study guide would work for one set of items, but not the other. I'm guessing that this was more of a computer administered exam that used predetermined questions. But, you might want to make sure that it is giving the questions you selected...I've seen this problem before...

To add to what Marc said, using a computer generated list of items puts your students at a double disadvantage (or worse). They aren't used to your tests so they are looking for (perhaps not even intentionally) your style of testing. Then you give them a test that is asking questions in a completely different style. What I mean is,if you take the Neisser, Schachter, Tulving (read constructivist/actively) literature on memory seriously, you have to think that the retrieval cues on your test are somehow leading your students into mistakes. What I'd suggest is that you give each student a bit of a verbal exam (in private, of course) and see if you really perceive that it was their lack of preparation or an interaction with the test items themselves. After moving west I also discovered that the nuiances of phrasing can be more misleading to students on a test that you might expect. If you come from a different area than your students you might be careful with the wording of your tests. Frankly, I'm doubtful that the use of computerized testbanks is going to allow you to fix this easily unless you edit the questions very carefully. Remember that the cues they have for retrieval are pretty much based on you and the text. Most computerized testbanks assume levels of mastery/cue-retrieval that the students aren't prepared for (i.e., they may know it but aren't getting good cues from the test to put it together within that context. so I agree with Marc's assessment on that part)

Another thing that I'd look at is the size of the class. It may be that the students aren't used to that much personal attention/contact. This may be reducing their perceived need to work on the material. My experience is the test you just gave probably will take care of that perception and they should start working harder. I'd do two things to fix this. One is make out your own exams or rework the wording of the testbank to fit your style. Secondarily, I'd discuss the problem with the students (in class). Be honest and frank with your concerns. Let them know that you are going to work to see if any of their poor performance reflects your own effort or qualities of the test. Let them know explicitly that you will work to see that future tests give them ample opportunity to do better. BUT also let them know that to the extent that some of the problem is on their end that you expect them to work harder and more effectively. Be nurturant but firm (and stay within your own style). If your students are like ours they won't respond well to bullying or the tactics that worked well on students even 4 or 5 years ago. They want to know that you really care (you can be as tough as you want but don't leave out genuine concern for them doing well)!
Tim

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Albertson College of Idaho
Department of Psychology