Michael Sylvester wrote:

> While I was discussing dyslexia,a student mentioned in class that quite
> frequently she would find herself phrasing words in the incorrect
> sequence.
> Instead of saying to her boyfriend,"put the pizza in the oven",it would
> come out as "put the oven in the pizza". Another example she gave was
> "dog hot" instead of "hot dog".
> She said that she has had this problem since childhood and she is unable
> to control it. According to her,this verbal behavior shows up in periods
> of high stress and anxiety.
> She is not dyslexic. She wanted to know if there was a name for
> this behavior that she was unable to control.
> I told her that this is the first time I have heard of this.
> Are any tipsters aware or familiar with this?
> Seems like a cross between verbal dyslexia and Tourettes'.

    Might this be a Spoonerism? (such as when Rev. Spooner called the dear
old queen a "queer old dean"). Spoonerisms usually involve mixing and
matching the first letters of words, but the same mechanisms may underlie
both.
John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"The only rational way of educating is to be an example - if
one can't help it, a warning example." A. Einstein, 1934.