Jeffrey and other TIPSters,
When I prep a course that I know will contain exclusively or primarily
psychology majors, I assume that students will be interested in
discussing methodological and theoretical issues in-depth.  I'm aware of
the dangers of assumptions; I know that not all psych majors are
interested in that.  But that's my approach.

When I prep a course that I know will contain both majors and nonmajors,
I tend to place more emphasis on practical applications of research
findings.  (I can tell you from experience that _not_ making that
modification can have nearly-disastrous results.)  One danger is that
the course could become "psychology lite," and I refuse to go there.
Another danger is that some students are looking for the "psychology
how-to," or a "pop psychology" approach.  For example, "what's the
recipe for raising happy, healthy  children?"  "How do I know if my
boyfriend is about to break up with me?"  I also refuse to go there.  Of
course, psychology is an extremely practical science.  But I emphasize
that psychology and life are full of "shades of grey."

So, I guess I could say that I shift my emphasis, but I do not
compromise on what constitutes a quality assignment.

Dr. Barbara Watters
Mercyhurst College
Erie, PA  16546