> I hope this useful.  Oh, read those first few chapters of Daniel.  Your
> student's understanding of what Daniel is all about is skewed.  True,
> Daniel has been picked up and people have misinterpreted it in apocalyptic
> terms, but that's another matter.  There's some great stuff on apocalyptic
> predictions that didn't come true on the skeptical inquirer web site.
>
> Al
>
> Al L. Cone
> Jamestown College   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> North Dakota  701.252.3467   X 2604
> http://www.jc.edu/users/faculty/cone

Al makes a great contribution here.  A common problem among religious
people is distorting what is in the Bible.

On the occasion a student or client states something that seems
inconsistent with biblical teaching, or sometimes just plain wacky, I
encourage them to find the verses that support that particular idea ("where
does it say that?"  "can you find other verses that support/contradict that?").

All too often religious ideology is based on someone/church group without
any basis in scripture.  Having them do a little "bible digging" is also good
because you don't have to attack their beliefs.  Very often a little perusing (or
sometimes more than a little) will lead the person to do it for him/herself.

Cheers,

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.  Director of Training, Counseling Center
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Psychology/Counseling
                            Dept. of Health Sciences
President-Elect, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
             -Hector Berlioz