I take Stephen's point, but I see that the NOTA option was
recommended, in the original letter, "especially where there
is computation," or some phrase like that. I suppose that in
an MC quiz on stats, for example, one might use the option
occasionally to force actual calculation  (precise or by
estimate) for each distractor. Presumably, quibbles wouldn't
arise in that case.

-David

Stephen Black wrote:

> >...snip...  The presence of "none of the above" is an
> invitation to subject each choice to mind-numbing scrutiny, based,
> apparently, on the premise that the instructor is out to trick you.
> The result is that they always find some outlandish reason to reject
> even the most reasonable of choices (wish I had an example handy). So
> in self-defense, I avoid the NOTA choice. ...snip...

        David G. Likely, Department of Psychology,
        University of New Brunswick
        Fredericton,  N. B.,  E3B 5A3  Canada

History of Psychology:
 http://www.unb.ca/web/psychology/likely/psyc4053.htm