Annette,

I found the following in a chapter by Troncoso, Crain, Sisodia, & Price in
Khachaturian & Radebaugh's (1996) edited text entitled Alzheimer's Disease:
Cause(s), Diagnosis, Treatment, and Care.

Troncoso et al. indicate that plaques are extracellular (although they do
not specify the location their diagram puts them in the synaptic cleft.
They also indicate that the neurofibrilary tangles are located in the cell
body with related cytoskeletal constituents located in the axon, cell body,
and outside the cell body (e.g. neuropil threads & neurites).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Rob Flint
Robert W. Flint, Jr., Ph.D.