David Gent writes:

>Fanny is a woman's name and was immortalised by Jane Austen in Mansfield
>Park.  However it is certainly not common.  A quick poll of the
>staffroom got "I don't think anyone would use that name it's got
>connotations."

The contemporary connotation might be fairly recent.  Jane Austin uses
expressions that now have quite different meanings that I'm sure she would
never have intended.  For example, she frequently depicts proper young
gentlemen telling proper but exhausted young ladies that they "look quite
fagged."

>However the abbreviation of Richard to Dick is quite common in UK and US
>and "dick" is a slang expression in the UK for a penis.  I thought this
>was the case in the US as well in which case Stephen, you will be able
>to answer your own question.  Of course I may be wrong.

People might just get beyond these nicknames.  My husband's grandmother was
named Apollonia but was known as Fanny (and with the last name, Stanny,
this must have been trying without the vulgar connotations).  Perhaps she
had her revenge:  She named her son Richard but called him Dick.

Time to get back to teaching . . .  :-)

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Web:    http://www.uwf.edu/psych/stanny.html