On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, DAP Louw (Sielkunde) wrote:

> Tipsters
>
> Because of several reasons (political, historical and otherwise) our
> National Department of Education in South Africa has decided that
> the term "student" should be replaced with "learner".  We were
> informed that this is "an international trend" and that we should
> therefore rather use the term "learner" in our lectures, writings,
> publications, etc.
>
> To what extent is this really an international trend?  Or is it only
> one of those fads?

And from yet another trend-setting country, one where the nights
are long and cold, this reply: no, we're not replacing "student"
with "learner".

A few of my students (see!) wanted me to replace "mental
retardation" with something more politically correct, but I
resisted, citing sources indicating that it's still acceptable.

I will use no euphemism before its time.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/