Perhaps I differ from the majority (which has never stopped me before), but
I find everything about the U.S. Presidential election relates to the
teaching of psychology.  If one accepts that psychology connects to the
behavior and mental processes of all persons, then I think the relevance is
clear.  I have been able to use the election in a variety of ways in all of
my courses.

A few examples that others have not mentioned:

1) Kohlberg's stages (should the law be followed for its own sake or should
a higher moral reasoning apply in the interest of fairness);

2) Motivation (it may be that the winner in the long term is the short-term
loser--a concept I have not seen in either of the two main political parties
in the U.S.);

3) Memory--post-event rehearsal (certainly people might vote differently
realizing the potential outcome of that process and the volcanic media
exposure);

4) Matters of group identification or affiliation (seems obvious to me);

5) A recognition, that for better or for worse, the eyes and ears of the
world look to the most affluent, wasteful, generous, arrogant, and free
society in the world's history for either a) guidance; b)affirmation that
they do not wish to be like us; or, c) a truly revealing moment in the
nature of humankind (no gender bias intended or implied).

I think I will be able to use the outcomes of this event in unforseen ways
in the future.  I will appreciate additions or extensions to my
observations.

Also, to my friends in Canada on TIPS, whom I hope to meet someday, get the
RCMP out of your classrooms (ready to enforce education copyright issues)
and turn their hats towards the south--we need some commonsense down this
way.

Thank you to all for indulging my longest TIPS post ever.

Chuck

Charles M. Huffman, Ph.D.
Chair, Psychology Dept.
Cumberland College, Box 7990