Matthew Raney wrote:

> Given that we've been discussing hemispheric influences, I was wondering
> if anyone might know if hemispheric lateralization was different in any
> way for left-handed individuals versus right-handed individuals?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

> Matthew L. Raney, M.A., M.A.                    Work#:  (919) 962-5082
> Graduate Student, Clinical Psychology
> Davie Hall, CB #3270
> Department of Psychology
> Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3270
>
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Michael Sylvester wrote:

[Hammond]
Here's a good n' easy research project that will result in an
easily  publishable paper (in P.A.I.D or any of a dozen peer
reviewed journals).
  Here is how to conduct the experiment:

        1. Using public registered voter lists, select
           100 registered Republicans and 100 registered
           Democrats and get their mailing addresses.
           (or maybe 200 each for that matter)
        2. Send them a SASE post card telling them you are
           doing a research paper, and ask them if they
           are Right Handed or Left Handed.
        3. Using a desktop computer, compute the correlation
           coefficient between R-L Handedness and
           R-L Political Party registration (Republicans=Right,
           Democrats=Left).
        4. Expect a correlation around +.35 (my estimate)
           Compute it seperately for men and women and
           men+women.  Also check correlations in different
           age groups maybe.
        5. Publish the result, whatever it is, and
           get credit for making a fundamental contribution
           to modern Psychology research (possibly a
           landmark contribution).

This study has NEVER been done, despite the fact that there
is strong evidence that Republicans are Right-brain dominant
and Democrats are Left-brain dominant, which of course
would show up in Right-Left handedness.
  The project shouldn't cost you more than $100 in postage.
Maybe you can get a grant if they won't let you use the
department postage meter.
  PS: don't worry about other people doing it too... I'll
guarantee you that any and all studies will find eager
acceptance in the peer reviewed Psychology journals.  It
will be of interest whether or not half a dozen
independant studies agree or disagree.
George Hammond
M.S. Physics/Psychometry

--