On Friday, November 06, 2015 10:54:02 pm Eric Rescorla wrote:
> I don't believe time-based guidance is useful here, given that it's highly
> situation specific rather than derived from reasoning about the properties
> of the cipher.

One reason to have a regular interval between rekeys is to ensure that it's a
standard operation, rather than something implementations in many use-cases
never see and possibly muck up when they eventually do. The time does not need
to be short, though, and can vary by algorithm and implementation discretion.

Dave