Hi David,

I couldn't find any description of the threat model involved here, nor
could I find any analysis of the security against that model.  Without
that, I can't really say whether this is right or not.  For instance,
there is specific mention of the certificate status request extension,
but there is no mention of why.

Given the configuration that I might infer from the hmac draft, I'm a
little surprised that this doesn't use PSK.

I'm somewhat dismayed by the firm recommendation to use the HMAC
mechanism, which doesn't seem particularly robust.  Offhand, it seems
like replays are possible if you allow the possibility of the node
crashing and dumping state.  The same applies during a rollover of the
32-bit counter.  Of course, that might not be permitted by the threat
model.