Hi there,

Hmm,  my salmon/fish oil capsules 1000 mg do not say anything about Omega-anything.  Nothing on the container at all.  I bought mine at a drugstore.  Is this a good or bad thing?

Heather in Calgary
----- Original Message -----
From: Jill Z
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 4:43 AM
Subject: Re: [TMIC] fish oil, etc.

Hi Everyone,
I also have not commented on the fish oil discussion until now, but thought that I'd throw in that a great book to look at is called Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James Balch.
Under the section for MS calls for Flaxseed oil containing GLA (Gamma-Linolenic Acid)
I take Barlean's Lignan Omega Twin which contains Omega 3's Omega 6's Omega 9's and Gamma-Linolenic Acid.  I just mix up a tablespoon in a shot of chocolate milk, or some yogurt and I'm done for the day.  No more pills etc.  It does really seem to help since I can tell if I miss a day or two.
Hope this helps!
Jill

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
As fats/oils are a weak area in my nutritional background, I've not commented on the fish oil/flax seed oil discussion.  But you folks spurred my interest enough to do a bit of research and I found the following on the internet, which may maybe you already know, but I didn't:
Too much omega-3 will lead to omega-6 deficiency, and too much omega-6 will lead to omega-3 deficiency.  (Flaxseed and fish oils contain omega-3)  The human brain contains omega-3 and omega-6 EFA's in a ratio of 1:1. For a healthy person, eating these oils in a 1:1 ratio may be ideal. However, the present day typical diet has these oils in a ratio of about 1:10 due to a preponderance of vegetable oils in the diet that contain virtually no omega-3 and lots of omega-6. For therapeutic purposes, to restore balance in the body a ratio of 2:1 is useful.
The EFA's are MAJOR nutrients needed in tablespoon amounts each day (adults need about one tablespoon for every 50 pounds of body weight).
Other benefits from consuming the omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids in proper balance include:
·         cravings for sugar and carbohydrates are less. If not used by the cells as fuel, these carbohydrates are converted by the body to saturated fat and stored. Here is a reason why eating the right fats helps you lose weight;
·         the brain is made mostly from fat. Eating omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids in proper balance leads to better brain development, higher IQ, greater alertness and calmness of mind.
·         improvements are seen in many disease situations including depression, mental illness such as schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease and senile dementia, Parkinson's, Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS), and multiple sclerosis;
Hope this is helpful to someone.  And thanks, everyone, for sharing your knowledge and experience, which helped me to learn more!
Sally

Checked by AVG Free Edition.