From: Grace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: TMIC <tmic-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 09:25:16 -0500
Subject: [TMIC] Spinal cord/Depression/Panic attacks.

Yesterday I had to go see a psychiatrist.  Since March 6th, I've been having horrific panic attacks.  I spoke to my neuros office and was told that it is common for people suffering cord insult to have problems like these---not just because of the depression that comes along with the physical disability, but also from the drugs used to treat it.  With my Devic's, I'm on huge doses of not only prednisone but other immunosuppressants, and of course the myriad of other drugs used to keep me functioning.   Have any of you dealt with this issue, and if so what helped?  For now, they've prescribed Zoloft and Xanax.

I swear to you, the first panic attack I had was so horrific that I fled my house at 4:30 A.M., making the drive to my ex's house so I wouldn't be alone.   I could not catch my breath, my face and fingers were going numb, and I quite literally wanted to *run* up and down the street.  Since then, I've had several more, the last one necessitating a trip to the hospital at 11:00 o'clock at night.  My oldest daughter has come back to stay with me as I am terrified of being alone.

My question is this---why does cord insult itslf cause depression regardless of degree of disability?

Grace