> Not all stem cell research is the same. I am all for stem cell
> research that does not involve taking (what I consider) another life
> to improve my life.

Jim,

Imagine that because of all your rabel-rousing- Smoking and Boozing- that your lungs and liver were dying.

In the same hospital was a person who was dying from some disease that had not affected their lungs or liver.  This patient will die no matter what.  Your doctor asks you if you would like a new lung and liver; she recommends the operation.  Liver/lung transplants are fairly routine nowadays.  Your insurance covers the surgery and subsequent medical care.

What is your answer???

If that were the case, that I was the cause of my own misfortune, then I might not get the transplant. Wouldn't know for sure unless actually faced with that decision. But, for the sake of argument...

If I did decide to get the transplant, the organs would not be removed from the donor until after the person has died naturally of the disease.  The doctors would not do something to cause the person to die so the liver/lungs could be transplanted before my organs fail. So a life would not be taken just to extend my life.

The process of extracting stem cells from an embryo will cause the death of the embryo.

----
Jim Lubin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://makoa.org/jim
disAbility Resources: http://www.makoa.org
Please Help: Inkjet & Toner Cartridge Recycling