Hello Linda,

I am so sorry that you are so scared of becoming ill.  I hope that your doctors aren't being overly alarming about it.  Maybe your condition is much worse than mine regarding your immune system, but I have had TM for 7-1/2 yrs, and have had pneumonia at least 6 times (3 times in one year), and just this past year I have had
"C diff".  These can be quite serious, but I've managed to get through them.  The "C diff" was the worst.  It came on after another case of pneumonia, and the antibiotic from it.  My doctor told me that my system may or may never be back to normal after the "C diff", and as we all know, bowel trouble is a horrible thing to deal with.

If anyone takes an antibiotic, please, I cannot stress this enough, please eat some yogurt while taking it.  I also took probiotics, and I continue to eat the yogurt.

I hate to think of your family feeling that they cannot spend any time with you because of them possibly making you ill.  That's so sad for all of you.

The following is taken from an article in RN Web

Because antibiotics destroy the normal gut flora that keeps C. difficile in check, or out of the gut in the first place, any adult patient taking antibiotics is at risk for developing CDAD. Any antibiotic can cause it, including those that might be used to treat it.1,5,7 The most potent offenders are amoxicillin (Amoxil, Trimox, others), clindamycin (Cleocin), and all generations of the cephalosporins, such as cefazolin sodium (Ancef, Kefzol, others), cefuroxime sodium (Zinacef, Kefurox), and ceftriaxone sodium (Rocephin).

Probiotics, which are live microorganisms, are often given to bolster the gut's normal flora.17,18 They've been used with some success to manage recurrent infection. The probiotics most frequently used to treat CDAD include Lactobacillus GG, which is a concentrate that can be added to skim milk; Lactobacillus acidophilus, found in yogurt; Saccharomyces cerevisia, which is found in brewer's or baker's yeast; and Saccharomyces boulardii, a nonpathogenic yeast that's given in capsule form.

Linda, I hope that things get better for you.

Hugs, Barbara A