From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: tmic-list@eskimo.com, Tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [TMIC] more relaxing - less meds
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:11:16 GMT

"Are you sure that GABA's not just another form of Gabapentin?"

Good Question!  Actually, when the pharmacist first mentioned it, I thought that was what he was going to suggest, too.

But the answer is No, GABA is not a form of Gabapentin.  My guess is that 'Gabapentin' got it's name from the fact that it works on the GABA receptors, which have an inhibitory function (as opposed to excitatory).  But Gabapentin is a drug.

GABA, short for Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid, is actually an amino acid that acts as a neurotransmitter in the central nervous system.  It's function is to decrease neuron activity, thereby preventing neurons from overfiring.  It's normally manufactured by the body, from other amino acids, and therefore not generally needed to be consumed.  However, it is used to treat various things, like epilepsy, ADD, etc..  It acts somewhat like a 'natural' tranquilizor - it's not addicting.

But, like anything else, it needs to be used in moderation or it could cause problems like increased anxiety, shortness of breath, etc.  So be sure to follow the recommendations on the bottle unless your doctor or pharmacist has told you differently.  And it's not a 'cure-all'.  You may still need drugs, but maybe not as much or as often.

Sally

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSN® Shopping.