Regina,
I had a neck MRI and a thoracic spine MRI last year.  The neck MRI showed
a lot of arthritis in the neck. The neurologist at that time said the asrthritia has nothing to do with my hands. Why couldn't it? My doctor yesterday is my PCP, and he has been treating me for high BP. He did not have an opinion yet about my hands. He took blood to test for anything systemic that might be going on, such as thyroid. Won't have results until next week. I'm seeing a new neurologist
in a few weeks who comes highly recommended.

I do believe my hand numbness might be coming from my neck.  I also have
neck and shoulder pain.

Have a good holiday,

Kevin

Regina Rummel wrote:
Kevin,
When I told my doctor that I was starting to get numbness in my hands, he prescribed a neck MRI. What did the doctor suggest about your hand numbness?

*/Kevin Wolfthal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    Naomi,

Over the first 4-5 years of onset (1988), I improved very slowly. I went from crutches
    to cane, to walking without aid, except ankle braces..  However,
    there was always pain, always balance
    problems, gait difficulty, numbness.  I was doing fairly well
    until 1997, when my car
    was rear-ended.  It wasn't a major collision, but as my
    neurologist said at the time,
    it "shook things up".  Sure did, things went steadily downhill
    after the accident,
until I was using a cane again and had to stop working in 1999. I never had steroid therapy because it took me years to get a dx. Now I am using a rollator,
    actually used it to get to the doctor today, with the assistance
    of a nurse's aid.  It wore
    me out, but I did it.  Now I'm trying to find out why my hands are
    going numb.

    I don't think anything is set in stone with TM.  We are all
    affected differently.  I still
    try to stay hopeful, I hope you can too.

    Best wishes,
    Kevin

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    Quadius,
Today marks my two year anniversary for my Transverse Myelitis. It's really depressing because I thought, by the two-year period,
    I would have gained more movement and made more progress.  To be
    perfectly honest, I'm worse off than I am when I left the
    hospital.  I am still struggling with my insurance company to
    provide more therapy.  I know it is stated that you're pretty
    much where you're going to be at the two-year mark.  I certainly
    hope this isn't true.  That would remove all hope.  I've read of
    people progressing beyond this point.  I pray for more recovery.
Naomi
    C-4 quad, incomplete since July 2, 2005
    Transverse Myelitis

    See what's free at AOL.com