My firm belief is that once the spine is involved, everything else goes
haywire.        I am so sorry you have to deal with this.   Sure hope the doc's
get their acts together
and get you cured with that situation.           Janice

From: randy rankin
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 12:08 PM
To: Barbara H. ; Janice Nichols
Cc: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [TMIC] sympom check question

      I don't if this questions was directed at me or Barbara or both. I would
be, interested barbara, in knowing your area of attack.

      As for me, Dr. H. was more concerned with getting me walking again than
giving me answers to a lot of questions. He is a GOOD man. He stayed at the
hosiptal throughout the night monitoring my progress (and others under his care
of course).  I do believe that I am walking because of him.

      Nevertheless, I have either never thought to ask or he hasn't told me.

      he said at first "m.s." then said that the test ruled it out and said
"multiple myelopothy." Another doc said that multiple myelopothy and m.s. were
the same thing - just the m.s. had legions and myelopothy didn't (that was my
non-medical comprehension of all the jargon.)

      My neurologist finally concluded it was multiple myelopothy with
transverse mylities because the symptoms and test results lead to that
conclusion and also because he predicted that i would start having bladder
problems with six to nine months.  In Feb the next year I did indeed stop
peeing and had problems.  He speculated strong that it was TM.

      Last fall, I suddenly had vertigo, balance problems, heavy fatigue,
tingling in face and pain in face.  The MRI (2 separate ones from 2 places)
showed increased signature (whatever that means) in two facial nerves coming
from the brain stem.  I was told it was trigeninal neurologia.  Pain meds
didn't touch it but neurotin and tegretal helped. I had wierdness from October
08 until about mid Feb 09 and then everything was gone. I grew better and like
a brand new person until the first 3 days of June when the facial pain came
back with an alarming strength and after taking the meds for 3 days it finally
went away.  I could not function mentally those 3 days - I stayed on the couch.

      NO one has really given me direct answers to anything except that I have
"textbook" m.s. symptoms but no supporting test results except for the TM and
the TN.

      As to YOUR QUESTION lol

      I do not know where the damaged area was at.  I don't know if it was
right on the spine or on the transverse nerves coming off the spine.  I've read
a lot in the literature on the subject and seem confussed with the definition
of TM.  Most conclude that TM HAS to be directly on the cord itself.  Some
suggest that the tranverse nerves coming off the spine can be damaged and TM
can be diagnosed.  I wonder if that is just for the anatomical terminology -
transverse - for the direction and mylitise (myelopothy) for the action that
happened.

      The doc says that my present symtoms are coming from my neck and even
though he did acknowledge that a damaged disk could cause it, my examing
primary care doc said 'no', he said that the fact that I am having this shocks
without touching an item and then simply touching an item sounded troublesome.

      So far, the only symptom that I am having is that my right hand hurts
deeply - it is not like extremly painful but there is a deep brusing feeling.
There is also one around c6 and in my right shoulder blade - just one spot.
I'm not in extreem pain at all.  It only hurts when i bend my neck down and I
get this "funny bone" feeling in my elbows and my right arm starts feeling like
I've been working on - also my right shoulder and right flank beneath my arm -
ONLY when I put my head to my chest. The main pain is in my right elbow and
muscles in my arm.

      The only other thing is that 2 days before the shocks, all my muscles,
except my left chest, back and gut, seemed to be tightening all at once.  Even
in my arms back, stomack and ESPECIALLY the back of my legs and even in my
feet.

      I woke Thursday and all my muscles were pulled together.  I was in such
pain. I wanted to jump up like I had had a charlie horse and pull those d&*()
muscles back in shape! But i could NOT jump up. I had to roll off the bed.
Then for a good while I could not get my arms to do what I wanted them to do
and I was like frankenstein's monster - stiff as a plank in my legs and my arms
seem to do the opposite to what I wanted them to do.

      Afterwards I was sore as if I'd been in the gym for the past three days.

      I'm trying to think that it is because I've been sitting way to much
because all I ever do is work on this dissertation paper - write and research
write and write - and sit sit sit.  I am hoping that sitting too much is the
cause because then I can just get off my fat butt and walk lol.