I complained to my husband's doctor but was afraid that if I complained to the nursing staff my husband's care would suffer. I now realize that I should have said something more.
But when you are dealing with cancer surgery you aren't thinking right.

Patti - Wisconsin

No, Patti, I think you made a WISE decision. Since I was in a place with NO mental deficits and no sensory deficits, I HEARD nursing staff saying the most incredible (horrific and insulting) things, because either they thought I couldn't hear, or they didn't care, or perhaps most people just don't hear as well as I do (I hear RF, most annoying). This often awakened me or kept me awake. I relate this to say, the " they" could be incredibly vengeful and petty. Incredibly petty. I had nurse advocates while in the hospital who took other nurses to task for some aspect of my care that I didn't know was neglected. These women liked me. I remember a nurse who disliked me, who refused to do things for me. While grateful to have made "friends" this was all so far from professional and consistent care. So please, banish the thought, all things being equal it would not have required you to say anything. ( in other words, if speaking to them would have fixed it, it would not have gone lacking to begin with)
.... so i think your assessment was sadly correct!

Akua